Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Long Lost Sculpture

My mother submitted photos of me to a library solicitation for consideration in the choosing of a model for a well known sculptor and artist of the times.

Artist: Haynsworth Baldrey - 1885-1946

Collections

Location:   Art & Artist files at the Smithsonian American Art Museum/ National Portrait Gallery Library

DATASmithsonian Institution Libraries



Newspaper clipping (was glued into scrapbook and then later torn out)


He sent this letter with a photo of the finished art
Click images to view larger

Back of photo

Fountain Figure
Go here for more on Haynsworth Baldrey

Go here for Flashback Friday:


10 comments:

  1. I wish by posting this, you could find out what happened to the fountain! Wouldn't that be so cool???

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so neat! I'm always amazed with your Flashback Friday posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How neat to be "immortalized" like this on a statue! Enjoyed your Flashback Friday!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing! You were a very beautiful baby and this is quite an honor! How nice to have the letter and clipping! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great and interesting story! Thank for sharing all these with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm visiting from Martha's today...what an interesting story! I actually live in North Jersey, not far from Newton so that interested me as well.

    Have a nice weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a tremendous honor, even to this day!
    I love the style of Baldrey's letter, don't you? I suspect people took so much more care with the written word than they do now ... a kinder, more respectful tone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's amazing! I can see why he wanted you as a model. You were a darling baby! How exciting for you!
    sandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is very cool. Would love to know what happened to the statue.

    ReplyDelete